Friday 31 December 2021

跳Q/Jumping the Queue

 

Q

金雨田

 

Jumping the Queue

Jin Yu Tian

 

寫了篇帶女兒看牙醫,讀者問怎麽你碰上的都不是東西?孰知當今行醫如賣雜果,生意好,少你個人又怎樣

 

AFTER publishing an essay about taking my daughter to see a dentist, I got responses from readers wondering how it was that I had always come across mean doctors.  They don’t know that many practitioners nowadays are like those fruiterers who, complacent about their good business, just don’t care about losing a customer.

 

年前駕車,胸口悶,才發覺自己對心呀肝呀肺呀的位置都摸不清,生命誠可貴下句還是生命誠可貴。立即停車奔進診療所,櫃枱小姐竟擋駕,推說醫生準備出診,不看!不看!我說,好,我只要等醫生出來告訴我心臟在左在右呢,還是在中間?

 

Late last year, when driving, I suddenly felt suffocated somewhere in the chest.  This reminded me how I had neglected myself, ignorant even about the position of my heart, liver, or lungs.  Oh, verily, precious is life;” –– the oft-quoted line flashed across my mind, followed by my impromptu version –– “Nothing more precious can I find!”

At once I stopped my car and dashed into the nearest clinic, only to be stopped by the receptionist.  “No, no,” said the girl, telling me the doctor was just leaving for a house call.

Well, I replied, I would just like the doctor to tell me where exactly my heart was –– in the left, right, or middle of the chest.

 

才隔一天,牙根來折磨,年除夕大早,急下樓看牙醫,櫃枱小姐也推說不看不看,因爲我沒預約。小姐,這是牙痛啊啊連續兩個啊,她都懶得睬你呢。

 

Two days later, a decayed tooth root came to torture me.  Incidentally, it was the New Year’s Eve, so I hurried to the community dentist’s downstairs early in the morning.  The receptionist turned me away because I had no appointment.

“Oh, my young lady,” I pleaded, “but this is TOOTHACHE.  Ouch!  Ouch!”  Yet the girl granted me no attention, despite my double exclamations of agony.

 

歲末得跟時間賽跑,只好急奔公司牙醫。嘩,少說也二十多人在輪候,都是友族病人;但沒幾個人,我便被傳召了。雖然麻醉藥還在擴散,醫生已把那傢伙幹掉了。“Happy New Year!”老醫生奧利佛說。

 

The year approaching its very end, I had to race against time.  I rushed into my company’s dentist clinic and found –– oh no! –– at least 20 patients in the waiting queue, all of them Malays and Indians.  But very soon I was attended to and, under anaesthesia, the troublemaker in my mouth was removed.  “Happy New Year!” said Oliver, the old doctor. 

 

一面捧著腫脹的面頰一面感覺如沐春風,尤其對著候診室裏讓我Q的友族同胞 —— 新年快樂!好兆頭

 

Even with my cheeks still swollen, I felt a soothing breeze caressing me.  “Happy New Year to you, too!” I replied, particularly to all my Malay and Indian colleagues in the waiting room, who had kindly allowed me to jump the queue. 

What a good omen for the New Year!

(Tr. by Allen Zhuang)

 

原載新加坡《聯合早報》(2000);收入《不著地族/A Lift-Off People潘正鐳著Allen Zhuang 英譯;Singapore: All Publishing House, 2002);2009131日譯者貼於博客網頁坡港英華/SingaKong Chinese & English,今重貼於此。

 

 允許轉貼;請注明取自本網頁,並保留源文作者及譯者姓名。

No comments:

Post a Comment